Sunday, July 24, 2011

CHIGGERS

THE INVISIBLE SAND FLY

There is a horrible little sand-fly that lives in Yucatan, and I'm still unsure as to what provokes an attack.  When I visited Yucatan in 1996, I was attacked in Playa del Carmen.  For days, I had these little pin-prick bites all over my legs, and didn't think much of them.  They didn't itch, but it was February, and the heat hadn't hit yet. 

Once we got to Uxmal, a few days later, all of those little pin-pricks swelled up into massive welts, some measuring 3 inches long, by 2 inches wide.  They all connected, and my legs were so itchy, I wanted to peel my skin off!


See the welts?  My right knee is a continent of sand-fly welts, as is the side of my left foot.  My legs were covered.  I suffered these sand-fly bites in 1996 and again in 2007, but somehow missed them in 2006.  We went to all the same places, so I'm unsure as to why I missed out on this wonderful novelty in 2006...

In 1996, I bought medicine for mosquito bites, but it didn't work.  Paula at Posada Toledo gave me vapo rub, but that wasn't much better.  When we got out to Dzibilchaltun, a tour guide named Jose told me to use sliced limes coated in salt.  Now that did the trick!!

Best way to keep these jerks from making your life miserable is to wear socks, shoes and pants - regardless of the heat.  I know the next time I visit Yucatan, I'll be keeping myself covered.  It's worth the heat, to avoid these miserable welts...by far, it caused me more discomfort than having 8 stitches across my knee (even though my stitches ripped.)

Hope you manage to steer clear their nasty stingers... 

No comments:

Post a Comment