Monday, July 18, 2011

BEHIND THE SCENES

LAZY MEXICAN?

I will never understand how tourists resting on white sand beaches with drinks in hand can refer to Mexicans as "lazy."  It could be that their sunglasses have shaded their view, or that they are so busy relaxing, they fail to notice the men, women and children who work tirelessly all day, in order to create a magical paradise of smoke and mirrors for the afluent.  The lights and the pretty flowers, the street musicians and clean-swept streets are an amazing illusion of what is actually behind the scenes - three blocks from the beach.

This young man was the night guard at our hotel in Playa del Carmen.  He began his shift at 11PM, and worked until 7AM.  We saw him working construction during the heat of the day, after having worked a full night shift.  Even-so, he was always friendly, and even recognized us during the day, despite how many people he had to let in and out at night when the hotel doors were locked. 

There was an incident that really upset me, which took place in Playa del Carmen in 2007.  I was writing postcards in the lobby of the Kinbe Hotel, and the night guard was from Campeche, and barely spoke a word of English.  Even-so, he approached me to ask what I was doing, so we played a game of charades, in order to communicate.  My friend was pregnant, and had gone to bed early, so I didn't want to stay up in the room and disturb her, so had moved to the lobby.  The night guard was so friendly.

A couple came in from Europe, at about 11 PM, and the woman immediately made her demands.  When the night guard couldn't respond, she got mad, and started calling him down, and saying it was terrible that he didn't speak any English.  Her husband was trying to calm her down, but she wasn't having any part of it.  I finally got up, and moved over to help them.  I don't speak Spanish, but know enough to get a room - and they had reservations.

When I tried to help, she screamed at me to get away from them, and told me I had no place in their affairs.  Her husband seemed horrified, and apologized to me, calmed his wife - and asked me to please help.  At this point, the night guard was willing, as he and I had already been communicating for quite some time.  He found their reservation, and showed them the room.  Her husband came back to apologize again, and asked where he could park.  We conversed a bit, and it turned out he'd just come home from a tour in Afghanistan, and was set to drive from Cancun to Palenque and back in just 10 days!  Not only did they not have a road map, they had no dictionary.  I was horrified, because it was obvious that his wife had made all the arrangements, had no Spanish skills, and showed no respect at all for Mexicans.  So, as it was our last night in Mexico, I gave him my road map and my dictionary - and he was very grateful.  I felt so bad for him.  He had been on tour, and was now about to spend the majority of ten days in a car...with a woman from hell!


 It might not seem like much, but it was hot - and these guys didn't even have the use of a dolly.  I really appreciate their hard work, because there's nothing I love more on a hot afternoon in Mexico, than a cold beer.



A hurricane had caused structural damage to a few of the buildings around Playa del Carmen, and these men had this roof repaired in no time flat.  Coming from Canada, it amazed me that none of them had hard-hats, and then I started thinking about the fact that what we were witnessing was only part of the work.  Someone had to gather the materials and weave them into bunches before they could be fitted onto the roof.  

I can't even begin to describe how hot it was in Izamal, let alone how brutal the heat must have been where she was working.

I know if this young man was carrying a load like this at any corporation in Canada, such as Walmart or Home Depot, he'd get a warning or be coached on back-safety.  In Mexico, it's just the norm.

Um?  Safety regulations anyone?

I said they're not lazy - I never said they aren't crazy!! 
   Either way - thanks to all the hard working people who make our holidays magical.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment